How to Dress Things Down?
Here comes I on Image’s style guide on how to dress things down. These 5 ways to dress down your formal outfits will help you to get more out of your existing wardrobe. Get better style with less clothing!
Is your wardrobe full of formal work wear from the time when business style was far more dressier? Predominant IT and start-up culture have molded the way we dress to work a lot in the recent years.
Working from home is getting increasingly more popular since the pandemic. Suddenly a suit with a pair of heels can feel somewhat stuffy and out of touch.
But throwing away fine tailoring just feels wrong. If it still fits then perhaps you could just wear it in a less formal way. Keep on reading and get better style with less items.
The Art Of Dressing Down
With my style advice you can learn the art of dressing down. Just a few simple fashion tips will help you to achieve that effortless chic that looks so good on everyone.
You can mix up the fashion ideas listed below. Or just pick one powerful way to express yourself through your style.
My Style Advice For You
- Add a casual shoe. This is the most practical dress-down effect there ever was. Your feet will thank you for swapping your heels to a comfy sneaker or a cool loafer. There are also a lot of options with moderate heels. Try ankle boots for example. They make any outfit cool and effortless in a flash.
- Add knitwear. Add a chunky cable knit jumper for some texture and warmth. Understated merino wool jumpers go literally with everything. They are far more low maintenance than gorgeous cashmere that I would love if I didn’t have kids. Knitwear with a pop of color combined with tailored looks also very contemporary.
- Add denim. A high-low combo is a no-brainer that does apply for evening wear too. The contrast between something dressy and cool denim remains a classic styling trick favored by the best dressed everywhere. Easy, practical and stylish way to wear your tailored separates or dresses.
- Add leather. This is just like the tip above but dressier and a more powerful statement. My favorite is to throw a biker jacket on a feminine dress. You can also wear a leather jacket instead of a blazer.
- Add a T-shirt. T-shirts with a print or a slogan have been popular for quite some time now. They will make any tailored piece look casual and cool. Just check the appropriateness of the picture/text and that it doesn’t spell something else when worn with a jacket. A safe fail-proof alternative is a stripy or plain, yet well-cut, T-shirt.
Get More Style Out Of Less Clothing
These 5 ways to dressing down your outfits will help you get more out of your existing wardrobe. You don’t have to transform your style completely to look good. My style tips will also allow you to own less items while having more style -every single day.
Is your problem actually the other way around? Then read my blog about How To Dress Things Up?
If you still feel that your formal clothes no longer have a future in your style then donate them to someone in need. One nice organization to consider is Dress for Success®.
They sell pre-loved business clothes and workwear to women who can’t afford new clothes. They also offer career coaching and support. Their aim is to help women gain financial independency. I fully support this great cause!
In The Netherlands you can approach Dress for Success NL.
Improve Your Image And Style With Me
My online services bring image consulting and personal style advice to your location. This service is available at your fingertips all over the world from the comfort of your own home.
My services will help you to improve your personal image and style. They will help you to gain confidence and a clearer self-image. Your improved image will give you better opportunities in life.
Take control of your personal image and make an appointment with me today.
This blog post was originally published on 26th September 2018 and updated on 23rd September 2020 with a new cover photo and improved style advice.