Get More Out Of Your Career – An Interview With Angela Fusaro
Exclusive interview: Get MORE out of your career with Amsterdam-based coach Angela Fusaro of Every Mother Knows. Give your career a BIG boost after the lockdown.
Company name: Every Mother Knows
Expertise: Career Coaching, Psychology, Recruitment, Diversity & Inclusion (later referred to as D&I)
Background: I have a background in Psychology and several years of experience in HR. I worked with multinational companies, non-for profit organisations and
start-ups, focusing on both the Dutch and international market.
Passionate about career coaching because: It empowers people to take control of their careers and provides practical insights and tools to thrive at work and in life.
Best career advice that I ever got: More than actual ‘advice’ what has helped me the most was seeing some role models out there and getting inspired by their actions and stories – including their failures.
That made me realize that if someone else is doing it, why not me? I can also do it. It’s a great confidence boost and call to action.
Q&A With Angela Fusaro Of Every Mother Knows
1. What Type Of Services Do You Provide?
- Back-to-work programmes for mums who want to re-enter the job market after a career break. For example I help them refresh their resumes, craft cover letters, preparing for job interviews so they can land their next job with confidence and ease
- Career development coaching for working mums who want to make a change in their careers – discover a new path, find a better work-life balance or grow in their current function
- Maternity coaching for pregnant employees and new mothers at the workplace to support the transition begore, during and after maternity leave.
- And some inspiring events, seminars and workshops on motherhood, parenting and career.
2. Who Could Benefit From Your Expertise?
Mothers who want to re-enter the job market after a career break. And also managers, HR and D&I professionals who seek advice and tools to support their employees.
3. What Role Image Plays In A Successful Career?
A very important one. It creates a first impression and sends out a message about ourselves – whether we want it or not. Image also plays an important role in how we feel about ourselves.
I think it’s amazing to see how a certain haircut or outfit can instantly change our mood for the day and how others and the outside world might respond to that.
Now imagine the potential of using your image to actively influence how you want to feel and the outcomes or goals you want to achieve in your career, during a job interview or a business meeting for example – that’s a huge one.
Read also: Why Your Image Matters?
4. Personal style is a visual representation of your personal brand. How can one use this knowledge to their advantage at work?
Be intentional in your style choices and use it to your advantage with a clear goal in mind. Do you want to feel and look more confident in your next interview? Wear something that can help you with that.
Of course make sure that you stay true to yourself and in tune with the company’s culture. It’s always good to do your research about the company beforehand.
5. Do You Still Need A Personal Brand In This Day And Age?
I believe that presenting yourself to the outside world, through your image and style, resume, LinkedIn and your own story is a key element to grow in your career.
It’s not only about the message you want to send out to the
world, it’s also about the stories you are telling yourself – about who you are, where you come from, your skills, experience and what you want to do next.
So my answer to the question is yes, definitely!
6. How To Improve Your Resume?
- Connect to your goals. What is your target? Who are you writing it for? What are the roles that interest you? Industries etc.? Use a style, tone of voice and keywords that speak to all of that.
- Highlight your achievements and power your stories with relevant numbers and figures – don’t be shy. You worked hard for it and you owe it to yourself.
- Make it personal – While specific skills and expertise are central in any application process, companies also want to know more about who you are, how you get the work done so tell something about you which sparks interest and make them curious to invite you for a first chat.
You’ve got this!
Angela Fusaro runs Every Mother Knows and is a proud mum of two little Amsterdammers.
She loves a strong espresso, the seaside and taking a little break on a yoga mat.
Thank you very much for the interview Angela!
I am sure that many of my readers will profit from your career expertise.
This post was originally published on 27th January 2020 and updated on 20th August with a new header image and better structure. The interview remains the same.