This 3-part image consulting blog series inspects your personal image from 3 different angles: Your communication, your appearance and your digital presence. In the second part we look at your appearance as the most visible part of your personal image.
Your Personal Image Is Everything
PART 2/3: Appearance
Fashion designer, stylist and editor-in-chief Rachel Zoe said:
“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.”
This resonated strongly with me as it captures perfectly the essence of the importance of your personal image.
People sum you up in seconds and sometimes they already have an opinion about you before you have even uttered a word. It doesn’t sound very fair, does it, but it’s important to remember that you have full control of your image.
I am not saying that you have to look like someone else, actually on the contrary, looking like yourself is always the best idea. Just look like the best possible version of yourself -and you’d be surprised how little it actually takes.
Consider the following elements of your appearance
- Clothes. Clean, neat and pressed should be your key words here. Add items with more flair only when your basics are sorted. Learn to make small repairs yourself or get to know a good tailor in your area. Many high-street pieces will look better on you with small alterations.
- Hair. Get a haircut that flatters your features. A good hair stylist can take years off your look and make you look more contemporary in a flash. Balding can be done gracefully and it can actually increase your image of leadership.
- Makeup (if applicable). Use makeup to enhance your look but don’t go overboard. Get professional advice at beauty counters or follow vlogs and blogs online. What works for your favorite celebrity may not work for you. Save wild brush strokes for a night out.
- Perfume/Cologne (if applicable). Your scent should not arrive before you so use sparingly. Some offices have a no-scent policy that should be respected.
- Nails. You don’t need an expensive manicure to have good nails. Keep your nails shaped and clean. Short is always is fashion and a simple buffer and a hand cream can do miracles.
These little extras tell a lot about you
- Jewelry & watch (if applicable). These are the statement pieces that say the most about you. If you are going to invest, go for understated, classic and sophisticated pieces.
- Shoes. Keep them clean at all times. Keep a shoe sponge handy and polish your shoes regularly. Opt for styles that you feel comfortable in and that match your life style and job description.
- Bag (if applicable). This is another status item along your watch and your jewelry. Good quality leather is worth investing in. Polish regularly and keep it’s contents neat.
- Accessories (if applicable). You can compliment your look with these seemingly insignificant items that still tell loads about you. Choose classic items or go for conversation starters.
Don’t overlook this
- Personal hygiene. I can’t stress enough the importance of this! There is simply no excuse to neglect your personal hygiene in any possible situation.
What’s in it for you?
We would like to think that appearances don’t matter, but they really do. People will expect you to look the part and the higher you climb the higher the expectations. Putting your best foot forward is not about being vain. It’s about investing in self-improvement -and allowing yourself to deserve it! Getting an image revamp can help you in many ways:
- Huge boost to your confidence
- Clearer self-image
- Learn to appreciate your worth
- Increase your executive presence for better job opportunities
- Send the right message with your style
Your style is your visual resume
Never underestimate the power of your personal image and start investing in it now. It doesn’t necessarily mean expensive as we well know that money doesn’t always bring you style nor authenticity. Start with the items you already own and plan your purchases carefully.
How to get started?
- Create a personal style that reflects your personal brand. Search inspiration from magazines, start an Instagram collection or make your own Pinterest style board.
- The real you needs to shine through in all it’s aspects. Imitations last only for so long so better be authentic. It will also help you enjoy your style more and to feel more confident.
- Take in consideration your unique body shape and the colours that suit you the best.
- Go through every single item in your wardrobe. Do you see certain styles and colours appear one after another?
- Ask for a second opinion. Invite a friend who has good style to go shopping with you or come and help you go through your wardrobe.
- Buy only items that will complement the items that you already have. The size of your wardrobe doesn’t guarantee it’s functionality.
- Utilize free personal shopping services at department stores, malls and shops. Bear in mind though that their job is still to sell you items from their store. With I on Image you can shop all brands from Primark to Prada.
- Forget about the trends and concentrate on building a life-long style that tells your story.
look the part
Your appearance is the part of you that you can’t possibly hide. Do you look the part? Here at I on Image I help you discover the power of your personal style that flatters your best features. Gain more confidence and want to be the best dressed person in the room.
READ ALSO other episodes in “Your Personal Image Is Everything”, a 3-part blog series by I on Image
I am looking forward to help you improve your image!
Your image consultant with an eye for detail
Sign up to my monthly news letter “Stylish News from I on Image” and get all the latest + FREE style & image tips straight to your inbox.
From 1st Jan 2020 some of my services and offers will be available only for the subscribers. They will not be advertised anywhere else so join the inner circle today!