I on Image is delighted to welcome back our lovely guest beauty blogger Vivienne McAlister-Geertz, owner and Chief Skin Lover at Simply Skin who tells us about the benefits of using oil on your skin.
I get asked all the time by customers why they should use oil on their skin. Many customers are afraid that oil may cause blocked pores which could lead to pimples and acne while others believe oils should be avoided, like some fats in our diet, as they are bad for us. I want to highlight the importance of using oils on your skin by listing a few of their benefits. – Vivienne McAlister-Geertz
1. Oil reduces the amount of water and hydration lost through your skin
Your skin will become dry and vulnerable when it loses both water and naturally-produced oils. If your skin isn’t kept hydrated with the use of oils, your body’s water will begin to escape more easily. As this water escapes the soaps and cleansers that you use will be more easily absorbed into your skin and will begin to strip out your skin’s naturally-produced oils. Gradually your skin will become more and more dry. In the case of hands, they may begin to chap. And in the case of other parts of your body, you will develop more and more wrinkles.
2. Oils cleanse your skin
When it comes to oil “like dissolves like”. Especially in relation to oily skin-types, you can use oil which is rich in anti-oxidants and nutrients to dissolve oils that are produced by your body but which are clogging your pores and, in cases, causing acne. Most products designed for use on oily skin work on the premise that dirt and oil should be removed from clogged pores. But by removing the oil, this can cause a negative spiral effect. However, the principle of “like dissolves like” or “oil dissolves oil” (known as the Dissolution Theory) can be used to dissolve oil and dirt which is lying deep inside the skin’s pores and clogging them, withdraw and remove dead skin cells, help remove bacteria from the skin, effectively remove makeup and sunscreen, and deliver anti-oxidants and nutrients to enhance the health of the skin
3. Oils have attributes which are beneficial to healthy skin
- Base oils that are highly emollient soothe and soften your skin while others have regenerative properties which means they aid the daily renewal of the surface of the skin and, so, slow down the aging process. Others can be rich in essential fatty acids which maintain moisture, softness and elasticity in the skin which is particularly important for aging skin where essential fatty acids, naturally produced by the body, begin to decline. Others still can be high in anti-oxidants which protect the skin by limiting the production of free radicals which can damage skin cells. They can calm inflammation, improve skin health and rejuvenate its appearance, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles by plumping up the skin.
- Exotic oils are expensive as the methods of extraction are usually very labour intensive and it takes a lot of source product to create a small amount of oil. In particular, oils which are extracted using the CO2 extraction method are the purest and gentlest botanical extracts used in skincare. Exotic oils are usually packed full of many of the beneficial properties already mentioned above in relation to base oils…and much, much more.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated botanical extracts which carry many therapeutic properties such as antiseptic properties which can help in the treatment of skin disorders, stimulating properties which can help circulation; they can help suppress muscle spasms, aid skin regeneration, fight infections, act as natural deodorants, promote healing and encourage either stimulating or relaxing feelings.
About the author
My name is Vivienne McAlister-Geertz and I’m the owner and Chief Skin Lover at Simply Skin, a handmade skincare company. I believe that the size of your jeans doesn’t determine how beautiful you are; it’s the size of your heart, the strength of your determination, and the gentleness of your love. So, through Simply Skin, I take you on a personal adventure that will inspire you to step into a world of beautiful dreams and fantasies. I bring to the forefront, the honest unapologetic you. My dream is to encourage and guide you to love the woman you really are, with sincerity and authenticity. No more hiding and blending in with society’s expectations and norms. Celebrate, with pride, your individuality, your uniqueness and your natural beauty, for all women are truly beautiful.